Looking for OASIS-C training? Look no further ….. I’m coming to Texas.
The OASIS-C instrument has not expired even though the form contains a July 31, 2012, expiration date. The renewal for the OASIS-C instrument is currently at the Office of Management and Budget. An OASIS-C with a new expiration date will be released once cleared through the renewal process.
We expect M1012 (Procedures) to be deleted as well as changes to the coding data items to allow for ICD-10-CM codes. It is puzzling how CMS intends to re-word the M1020/M1022 item when the codes are no longer V and E codes. Perhaps they will delay that change like they delayed ICD-10!
Want to learn more about OASIS-C? Come to my classes!
Sept 26-27 Oregon Association for Home Care Salem, OR
October 4-5 Home Care Association of Colorado Denver, CO
November 7-8 Ohio Council for Home Care and Hospice Columbus, OH
Dallas, we’re already coming for coding education, but we’re also bringing OASIS education.
We’ll go beyond the basics in Dallas on June 28 to teach you about OASIS. Learn:
- What OASIS is used for, and why accurate and consistent assessment really matters
- How to score OASIS items on a Start of Care assessment
- Techniques to improve assessment accuracy and speed
- How responses to individual OASIS items impact your agency’s reimbursement, OBQI outcome scores, and OBQM avoidable events
- How the new risk adjustment model works, and how your clinicians’ OASIS responses shape your agency’s case mix profile and outcomes
- How to put all the pieces together to improve care delivery and quality outcomes
CMS has posted its first OASIS C training module, which addresses medication items.
The agency says more sessions should come online soon, including: care planning and interventions; neuro/emotional/behavioral status items; and integumentary/pressure ulcer items.
Intermediate coders, get all the latest information on changes and the best coding education around. I’m
- Explain CMS guidance on sequencing.
- Explain the relevance of OASIS C data items for diagnoses to payment.
- Explain coding of diagnoses of infections, neoplasms, endocrine disorders such as diabetes, anemias, mental disorders, and the nervous system & sense organs.
- Identify the differences between different kinds of ulcers.
- Describe the purpose and appropriate use of V and E codes.
- And tons more … including identifying new codes that will take effect October 1, 2011.
I will be in Dallas Aug. 24-25; McAllen Aug. 31-Sept. 1; Houston, Sept. 7-8
As we start our new code year, we’re always scrambling for education on codes, but what about other subjects, like PPS fundamentals or OASIS best practices or coding and filling out OASIS information on those pressure ulcers?
It’s time for new education in the new year, and I’m offering these in the month of October, in addition to my live education around the country.
PPS Fundamentals, Monday, October 11
Understand the fundamentals of PPS that are essential to agency operations for administrators, quality personnel and coders. This includes information on:
- How the HHRG is obtained.
- Explain the case mix variable table.
- Identifying how to bill non-routine supplies.
- Explaining the role of diagnosis coding and OASIS answers to the financial health of a home health agency.
12pm -1:45pm CST
OASIS C Best Practices, Monday, October 18
What is a “best practice”? And what does it mean to your agency? The first quality reports have been released from OASIS C. How did CMS derive the information and how can your agency do better next time? In this education, we will:
- Define best practice.
- Discuss best practices involved in pain assessment, falls risk, depression screening and others.
- Identify the correct method for answering OASIS data items regarding best practices.
12pm -1:45pm CST
Pressure ulcers, coding and OASIS-C, Monday, October 25
Coding pressure ulcers and responding to OASIS data items regarding pressure ulcers are some of the most difficult areas of home health practice. Lisa will lead your staff through the latest guidance on answering OASIS-C regarding pressure ulcers and contrast that with coding guidance. Lisa will:
- Describe how to answer OASIS and code for pressure ulcers with skin grafts.
- Describe how to answer OASIS and code for pressure ulcers with muscle flaps.
- Describe how to answer OASIS and code for pressure ulcers that “heal.”
12pm -1:45pm CST